Thursday, September 27, 2007

New york Mets and the christain life

I have been a mets fan since i was born-as a matter of fact they were the first thing i saw on tv-they were playing the cubs. Sadly they are poised to perhaps lose first place and the division title. They had a 7 game lead and they rested on it and now it is just one game lead with 4 to go over the phillies. This reminds me of the christain life both as individuals and as a church.
we rest on our past achievements,testimonies(as a matter of fact this is what irks me with nicky cruz-thru out my christain walk 22 years every time i see nicky cruz or hear about nicky cruz he is talking again and again that he used to be a gang banger-come on what else has God done IN your life?/or what have you done with the new life He has given you?) well anyway,gifts etc and we rot. So we like the mets as individuals and the church should not rest on our "7 game lead" but run the race and finish at the victory line:Heaven.

14"And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 'The words of the(AJ) Amen,(AK) the faithful and true witness,(AL) the beginning of God’s creation.
15"'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot.(AM) Would that you were either cold or hot! 16So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17(AN) For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor,(AO) blind, and naked.(Revelation 3:14-15)
'I know your works. You have the reputation(B) of being alive,(C) but you are dead. 2Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works(D) complete in the sight of my God. 3(E) Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up,(F) I will come(G) like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you. 4Yet you have still a few names in Sardis, people who have not(H) soiled their garments, and they will walk with me(I) in white, for they are(J) worthy. 5(K) The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never(L) blot his name out of(M) the book of life.(N) I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. 6(O) He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'(rev 3:2-6)

10For he who has once entered [God's] rest also has ceased from [the weariness and pain] of human labors, just as God rested from those labors [a]peculiarly His own.(A)
11Let us therefore be zealous and exert ourselves and strive diligently to enter that rest [of God, to know and experience it for ourselves], that no one may fall or perish by the same kind of unbelief and disobedience [into which those in the wilderness fell].
12For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the [b]breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.(heb 4:10-12)
1Therefore, seeing we also are compassed about by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3For consider Him that endured such contradiction from sinners against Himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.(HEB 12:1-3)

23And I do this for the sake of the good news (the Gospel), in order that I may become a participator in it and share in its [blessings along with you].
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but [only] one receives the prize? So run [your race] that you may lay hold [of the prize] and make it yours.
25Now every athlete who goes into training conducts himself temperately and restricts himself in all things. They do it to win a wreath that will soon wither, but we [do it to receive a crown of eternal blessedness] that cannot wither.(1 Corinthians 9:23-25 )

No comments: